Transwomen Peer Support Specialist Needed for Short Term, Remote Work Job Opportunity
Black Transwomen, Inc (BTWI) is a national nonprofit organization established to specifically address the urgent concerns facing African American trans women in minority communities.
Since 2012, BTWI has committed to empowerment, providing the trans-feminine community with programs and resources to help inspire individual growth and contributions to the greater good of society to meet its mission of uplifting the voice, heart and soul of black trans women.
Black Transwomen, Inc. provides positive and affirming support to enrich the lives of transwomen and girls across the US through EmpowerHER.
The EmpowerHER program is focused on ensuring the experience of holistic wellness with respect to matters concerning health & healing, safety and economic & social empowerment to support her liberation. Black Trans Women empowerment program services provided to transwomen include Peer Counseling, Information and Referral, Support Group, Women’s Summit and Grants & Scholarships.
We invite career-minded individuals who are driven, disciplined and assertive, and who believe in our mission to apply and serve in the role of EmpowerHER Peer Support Specialist. The Peer Support Specialist will use both personal lived and learned experiences as a black trans woman to nurture, develop and facilitate activities both administratively and programmatically to meet organizational goals. The Peer Support Specialist primary focus is to provide culturally competent and strength-based peer support to black transgender women to decrease exposure to hate & violence and increase personal economic and social stabilization. They will perform a wide range of tasks focused to identify, support, assess and address barriers to achieving client goals and objectives.
The EmpowerHER Peer Support Specialist serves as a direct point of contact to provide peer support services for Black Transwomen Inc and its EmpowerHER Program and to professionally engage with its clients, donors, members, sponsors and partners. The ideal candidate will identify as transgender woman and bring or be all or most of the following:
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Knowledge of disparities faced by black trans women with drive to help over come them
- Ability to provide skills training, peer support, and outreach & engagement services
- Ability to provide crisis services and problem-solving assistance to clients
- Demonstrated ability to empathize with, relate to and effectively partner with individual and team members.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly establish rapport and maintain positive working relationships with others over the phone and in person
- Commitment of protecting sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Excellent written communication ability in a variety of communications settings
- Takes initiative – Capable of working independently to achieve stated program goals with minimum day to day supervision
- Be a problem solver, self-starter that can follow detail instructions
- Positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Lead with a servant’s heart
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Experience in Peer counseling, mentoring, navigation or similar field of work
- Computer proficiency in: Microsoft or Google Office programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Minimum of a High School diploma or equivalent (some college preferred)
- Experience helping poverty-specific population overcome barriers to service
- Experience navigating public insurance options and systems such as government offices, courts, housing, domestic violence/sexual assault, and other community-based services a plus
- This is a short term, hourly paid, contract assignment averaging between 12-24 hours a week working from home
- 3-Day Work Schedule. Must have dedicated time available Tues/Wed/Thur 10am-6pm CST
REMOTE WORK REQUIREMENTS
- Must have a quiet and private work station
- Must have desktop or lap top
- Must have reliable high speed internet connection
- Additional equipment: (headphones preferred)
Equal Employment Opportunity
BTAC. is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity to all applicants and to prohibit any discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or veteran status. Applicants are treated on the basis of their job-related qualifications, ability and performance.